Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Now you know.


The other night, the family was assembled around the dinner table. At the end of the meal, my dad leaned back, sighed, and said with great satisfaction, "Mmmm.. that hit the spot!" The comment got me wondering about how that phrase originated; and after a deep debate with Claire, we came to the (VERY educated) conclusion that "The Spot" is an ACTUAL internal organ. No joke. This discovery in the human anatomy should shed light on what actually goes on in those medical classes. The professor stands in front of the class, and points at a huge diagram of the human's main working parts. "You see class, you've got the mouth right here, which leads to this little tube called the Esophagus. Now this is where it gets tricky.... there's a fork in the road, and one leads to this bean-shaped thing called the Stomach. The other leads to THIS little doozy called..... wait for it..... THE SPOT. Make note of this."
Why is it that only certain foods ever make it to the Spot? What qualifies passage? As questions began to pile up about this little-known organ, I sought the all-knowing (sacrilegious?) knowledge of Google. "Hit the spot' means to fully satisfy and refresh, especially with food or drink." Psh..... so misinformed, Webster. It should expound with something like, "The act of delicious food entering an internal organ."
As we had a good laugh about the scenario we just painted at dinner, we began to list some of the foods that have graced the Spot in the past.

Warm Tapioca pudding with cinnamon rolls on a chilly day
Breakfast. Any time of the day. Yes Please.

Wendy's Baconator. Not gonna lie, It DOES beat your heart senseless on the way down, but the Spot likes it. So keep chewing.
Beef Jerky on 15 hour road trips
Buttered popcorn during Jazz games
Tomato pie on a summer night with salted cucumbers...mmmm
Henry Weinhard's cream soda while camping

....The poor boy above CLEARLY has a malfunctioning Spot. It's telling his brain that EVERYTHING hits the spot. Their family dog was alive that morning.
What hits the spot for you?

Food for thought.

Yes that just happened.


7 comments:

jane mckinlay cluff said...

Mum-z's tomato soup/mac and cheese dish. I have been craving that since I left. oh bother... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Michelle Smith said...

I don't mean to keep blog stalking but you really need to get a job in the news/article writting business. Anyway, just so I'm understand correctly, your post would imply that "The spot" can also only be reached on certain days or at certian times of the day. For example, if I eat tapioca (emphasis on the "ca" as in ca ca yucky) but anyway if i eat that on a warm summer day then it won't make it to "the spot" correct? I just need to make sure I know about these things so that one day when I'm a doctor and I'm opporating on "the spot" i'm fully aware of what I'm dealing with.

Spencer Morse said...

Curious-What's Tomato Pie?

Spencer and I both love Hot Tamales and Chocolate Covered Cinnamon Bears and Homemade Cinnamon Rolls :) -Lisa

Eyes Skyward said...

Lisa.... Tomato pie is like a party in your mouth! If you like tomatoes, get the recipe from mi madre. it'll knock your socks off.

MIchelle! haha very good question! I have no idea. Some people get a Spot-ectomy, so when you operate, it might not even BE there!

Jane. Mac and cheese, and the phrase "hit the spot" should NEVER be in the same sentence, let alone the same conversation. Shame on you. I miss you :)

Josef said...

I'm going to have to add scotcheroos to the list...it's been forever since we had them.

Erin Axson said...

Ha ha Josef said 'scotcheroos.' I cant even imagine what this is.
Dear brother... you have done it again. You have got me laughing right out loud. Well done. Speaking of well done... a big old juicy steak always hits the spot!
Jane I am with you on the mac and cheese. John has a faulty spot due to the introduction of the baconator. It ruins everything that comes after it.

Erik Kujanpaa said...

Although though this may not be food, winning a grueling seven hour war, A.K.A. RISK, definitely hits my spot. Unfortunately for some, they will never know the feeling...