Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dear Me


I recently heard a commercial on the radio about quitting smoking. I thought the way they did it was so effective. The man starts out by saying, "Dear me..." then goes on to tell himself why he should stop smoking. I got thinking about if I could write a letter to myself, what time in my life would I do it, and what would I say? I then decided that the 3 painfully awkward years of Junior High would have been less painful if I would have received this letter...

Dear me,

Lighten up. Learn to laugh at yourself. You're a goof. Embrace it. The world is filled with people who don't know how to laugh at themselves. Life is too short to take yourself too seriously.

Stop worrying about what everyone thinks about you. So much of your time is spent worrying. What you don't realize right now is that everyone else is worrying about the same things.

Don't be so sensitive. Man up. Jerks in junior high don't change in high school. You just learn to laugh at them.

Please, for the love of all that's good and holy, stop being so concerned with how you look. It's junior high. This is an awkward stage for everyone. Gelling your spiky hair and wearing golfer vests over t-shirts isn't helping your cause.

Please stop writing her love letters. She's like your sister. Trust me.

Your braces DO come off, and you'll have a great smile. When you get them off, PLEASE wear your retainers religiously.

I know it seems like I'm speaking a different language, but listen to Mom. She actually knows what she's talking about. Promise.

Be nicer to your little sister Claire. She ends up being your best friend. Not everyone likes your sarcasm. You're lucky she still talks to you.

Speaking of sisters; you can't see it right now, but it's a blessing you have four. Cherish every second you have with them.

Enjoy life. Be happy with who you are. Hang in there buddy. There IS life after junior high. Plus, you grow up to be ME.

THERE'S something to smile about.

Sincerely,

Me.

6 comments:

jane mckinlay cluff said...

You said it. now just remember it.

Erin Axson said...

I am so glad you grew up to be you. I love you just the way you are. I thought of one you need to add to your list:

Dont feel bad when your sister makes fun of you for wearing a Darth Mahl costume your last ever "dress-up" Halloween. She does it because she has a poor self esteem and she is going to be a 28 year old that regrets saying those horrible things 12 years later and that hurt and embarrassed look on your face when I made fun of you, still hurts my heart.

Sorry.

Love you.

Josef K Kujanpaa said...

You will get your braces off, and even though your best friend elbows you in the mouth during a basketball game on accident and chips a itsy bitsy little corner off of one of your front teeth, you still have a great smile, and no one knows about the chip besides the two of you...and whoever else you might tell.

Katie Lane said...

I found your blog through Janes and I loved seeing the Jr. High John pop up!

Jr. High stinks right, wouldn't it be great if we could do it again? But I don't think any of us would willingly do it.

P.S. Hopefully next time you see me I will not be in pajamas looking disgusting.

Christian and Michelle Smith said...

I don't mean to be out of control, but I actually cried while reading this blog post. Leave me alone, I know. And yes, your sister are awesome. But I do wish you would stop smoking.

Erik Kujanpaa said...

I think the one of the main reason's we are friends is BECAUSE of sarcasm. I thrive off of it. Keep it up.