Thursday, February 4, 2010

Spend it wisely


...For those of us who DIDN'T come home off the mission and steal away the girl of their dreams the FIRST day they were home, then get married two months later ....there's the wonderful world of dating. Side note- I hope you enjoyed that incredibly long run-on sentence. I might do it again. I might not. My choice.
Dating, for lack of a better, more cleverly thought-out analogy, is like shopping.

We all go to the mall for different reasons. Our friends drag us there. The food. The shopping. Regardless of the reason, we've ALL been there at one point in our lives. Walking past certain stores, we all have different reactions.
"There is seriously NOTHING good in that store."
"I've already been there. Keep walking."
"Yes PLEASE..."
"I wouldn't be caught DEAD in that store"
"Out of my league"
There are those of us that go to a store for a VERY specific thing. Specific size, color and style. We usually are more disappointed when we don't find exactly what meets our tall list of expectations.
Then there are the people that actually buy a shirt. It fits. Looks great, is comfortable to wear, and compliments their life. They're the same people that save the receipt, because after they wear it for a while, they RETURN IT. TACKY. The shirt didn't do anything wrong, they just liked how it made them feel.
Then there's the people that are flat broke, but go to the mall anyway. They scout things out in hopes of finding something they can afford later.
There are those that go into a store with no intent of buying anything at all. After looking around for while, they luck out. They spot it. Pick it up, try it out in the mirror. They HAVE to have it. One minute they don't even know it exists, and the next, they're wondering how they ever lived life WITHOUT it. These are known as the impulse buyers.

Impulse daters.

And strangely enough, this is who I want to be. I find it interesting that the people with the long list of "Must Haves" rarely, if EVER, find what they're looking for. They set themselves up for disappointment. I'd rather have the thrill of the "Find." You're in the right place at the right time, and it JUST WORKS. Then you find that this person IS your "must have." They're exactly what you needed.
Until that happens, I'll keep shopping.
"Is there anything I can help you find, sir?"
"Nah, I'm just looking. Thanks."

4 comments:

Heather said...

cute.

thats SO true about the people with the long list of must haves... they rarely find what they're looking for- maybe they DO find it... but end up disappointed 99.9 percent of the time. These kind of people always want something BETTER... they're never satisfied.

It's so true that when you STOP being picky, stop trying so hard... they come out of no where... and they end up being absolutely perfect for you. :) Trust me. I KNOW.

Erin said...

Brother, you need to write a book.

I had an FHE brother (yikes, I might be a zoobie) that had a list for his future girl and there were things on there like must speak fluent spanish and must be able to run a marathon... blah, blah. Here is the kicker... he was 5'4" and was a male cheerleader. He is still single to this day.

He was dating a girl from Idaho that he thought was THE ONE and one night he was just being funny and he ran and jumped on her back and broke it, leaving her paralyzed. her family ended-up pressing charges.

Oh dear, this is not a helpful comment. Keep shopping. Dont become a male cheerleader. Dont snap girls spinal cords.

Sound advice for anyone.

jane mckinlay cluff said...

Brother I love you and you keep shopping my friend. I know that you will be the one to find the "find". no set ups, no you have to meet this one, no blind dates. I love how you put your words the just have a way about them and it all makes me miss you so so very much. Brother I hate being so very far away from you. I'm sending all my love and a long prolonged hug. And maybe even a kiss on the cheek.

McKayJoice said...

Hear Hear!