Friday, August 21, 2009

Embracing the Truly Pointless

In my continued effort to watch my weight, I found myself driving home sipping (enter non-caffeinated soda drink here) and dipping my fries in a large chocolate frosty. As I drank, I noticed that on the plastic lid, were four or five pop-in buttons. You know the ones I'm talking about... The ones labeled "Cola, Pepsi, diet, and other" ...those little bundles of guilty pleasure you've been popping down since you were excited about happy meals. Yeah.
I started thinking about it, and I came to realize: there is absolutely NO need for these. Does any person or establishment actually take these seriously? I wonder what life would be like if we all did. "Hey can I get a refill?"
"You bet! What were you drinking?"
"....Why don't you take a LOOK at what option I popped down, then go ahead and ASK me that question again. I dare you."
Or the other way around... "Hey can I get a refill?"
"I see no beverage selected. Sir, I cannot in good conscience, satisfactorily meet your needs if you're not willing to work with me here. I'm NOT a mind-reader."
These fail, because humans communicate. It's like the first guy to think of these wanted us all to communicate through braille on cups. Sorry buddy. We're just fine without them. But ironically, I can't down a soft drink without getting my cheap thrill out of making sure there's five craters in the lid. It seems that we all, as a whole, embrace the truly pointless ideas introduced into society.

2 comments:

jane mckinlay cluff said...

See I told you I love reading your blog because you just have a way with words. You can take the Truly Pointless and make it all sound so great keep it up john boy I love it

flora said...

Hey! I use those dibbits! And if they miss the "diet" in my coke, I point it out.
"The Warden"